Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: Canonical's bad decisions

From: Leslie I'Anson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: Canonical's bad decisions
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:19:40 +0100

Well said Tim and I second all of that.

I'd also say that fact that Ubuntu lacks compatibility with Debian. Although, that may be more due to technical reasons.

2009/6/17 Tim Dobson <address@hidden>
Bob Ham wrote:
On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 12:15 +0100, Lucy wrote:
also agree that Canonical have made some really bad decisions
recently, separate discussion though).

Just out of curiosity, which decisions were those?

Well the one's I'd mention would be:
The serverside of Ubuntuone being non-free software
The serverside of Landscape being non-free software
Stalling the free software release of Launchpad and not releasing the build system and code hosting bits as free software.

Those are the most prominent bad decisions, and those are the decisions which I suspect are preventing gNewSense from using Canonical's infrastructure to create gNewSense...

I can't think of any other particularly bad decisions off the top of my head though there are some things Canonical do in Ubuntu which I disagree with.

Tim