Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Free Software as a brand

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Free Software as a brand
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:15:43 +0100

2009/6/15 Simon Ward <address@hidden>:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 08:34:27PM +0100, Lucy wrote:
>> > 2) This is Manchester Free Software not Manchester Open Source, its not
>> > even Manchester FOSS.
>>
>> I suggest you read the article!
>
> I’m not sure the article is relevant to that comment, even though this
> thread began discussing it.

It is relevant because the article essentially spoke about overcoming
some of the differences between the two communities. We have so much
in common, that rather than focusing on the differences we should
stand up for each other. So no, while MFS is not an open source group
we still have a huge overlap with that community and should still
stand up for open source where that term is being used.

> The article talked about brand awareness and management and did not
> dictate how people should perceive them.  I think Manchester Free
> Software is still about free software primarily, and other terms such as
> “open source” and “FLOSS” are included where their goals (and public
> perception for that matter) align.
>
>> I agree, in my experience it is really confusing for people and I feel
>> that it's one of the strengths of Ubuntu, that they have created a
>> really strong, positive brand that people can easily understand.
>> Something like that for FOSS would be of real benefit (maybe like a
>> kite mark but more eye-catching).
>
> Unfortunately, Ubuntu seems to hold its brand in higher regard than
> freedom.  I therefore cannot support it.

When I talk to non-technical people about Ubuntu, I introduce them to
the 'brand' and I explain that Ubuntu means 'humanity to others' (they
always ask about the origin of the name even if I don't mention it at
first). They then immediately understand what it means, and that it
gives them freedom, in a way that is accessible and memorable for
them. So, yes I do believe that Ubuntu stands for freedom (although I
also agree that Canonical have made some really bad decisions
recently, separate discussion though).

Michael asked about the success of the four freedoms poster. Well, I'm
not sure that many people stopped to read it and I'm fairly sure that
those that did wouldn't have remembered it. I'm pretty sure they all
remembered the idea of 'humanity to others' though.