[Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: [nwdc] MDDA Actively Discriminating against Commu

From: Lucy
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: [nwdc] MDDA Actively Discriminating against Communities.
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:09:11 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Phil Winstanley <address@hidden>
Date: 2009/6/10
To: Alan Holding <address@hidden>,
"address@hidden" <address@hidden>,
"address@hidden" <address@hidden>

Dear MDDA,

Recently I was made aware of a disgusting attitude that the MDDA has
adopted towards some of the technical communities working within
Manchester.

To make matters worse, this discrimination was being drawn across
lines of ideology and not those of practicality or reality. It is a
disgraceful situation which your organisation should be ashamed of
involvement within.

What situation am I referring to ? Well, the fact that the MDDA have
told people that unless the technology which user groups are talking
about is Open Source then the MDDA cannot host those groups.

Let me draw to your attention some of the public statements made by
Manchester City Council.

“Manchester has been one of the leading local authorities in working
to ensure that all communities in Manchester have equal access to
Council services and job opportunities.”

“Whilst all local councils have a legal duty to combat inequality,
Manchester City Council has gone beyond this and made sure it has had
an active, campaigning role on many equalities issues. Through
consulting and involving those on the sharp end of prejudice the
Council knows how much damage discrimination and prejudice do. ”

--

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=264

Then, there’s this on your own site.

“We have modern, flexible and accessible meeting rooms available for
hire for groups of up to sixty delegates. Consisting of four
individual contemporary styled suites, the spaces have full disabled
access, air conditioning and high speed wireless internet access
throughout.”

-- http://www.manchesterdda.com/about/

It’s nice to know you say all the right things publically, it’s a real
shame your actions in reality are completely contradictory to these
points.

I have made other leaders within the Technical community aware of this
situation and they (on all sides) are equally disgusted by your
organisations attitude towards the non-open source community.

I look forward to your prompt rectification of this situation.

Kind Regards,

Phil Winstanley.