Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Free Software as a brand

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Free Software as a brand
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 17:23:56 +0000

Matthew Larsen wrote:
Just saw this on Slashdot, interesting idea!

http://blogs.fsfe.org/greve/?p=347

FTA (slashdot):

Georg Greve, founder and president of the Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE), has an insightful look at FOSS from a brand perspective <http://blogs.fsfe.org/greve/?p=347> with urgings that the community come together and strengthen open source as a unified brand.

The president of the FSFE is urging a unified brand of "open source"...

I guess I support the end point, but not having read his article through completely, I'm a bit surprised to be honest...

I'm cautious...There have been many rebranding's of free software over the years.... open source software, open software, organic software, freedomware, software libre... I'm not sure any have been particularly successful...

Interesting move is all I can say...

Tim