Re: [Fsuk-manchester] DFEY - Logo Competition - Cash Prizes

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] DFEY - Logo Competition - Cash Prizes
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 23:42:28 +0100

So a lot of questions have been asked about the licence.

Let me try and clear some of them up.

The CC zero licence essentially allows use by anyone for any purpose, in the USA this is known as "Public Domain", in the UK we don't have that legally, so we have a licence that says the same thing.

So some people have suggested using CC Attribution or Attribution Sharealike...

Having a logo licenced under these clearly becomes unworkable as the author of the logo needs to be credited on every letterhead, website, newsletter etc. You never see the FSF requiring you to attribute whoever drew their logo (and whoever subsequently modified it) every time it's used do you?

It would be very difficult, on a badge with the logo on it for instance, to credit several people who had drawn and designed the logo.

Having no legal entity and a very broad interpretation of who the members are in DFEY makes it very difficult to do any sort of copyright assignment - who exactly are they transferring copyright to anyway?

Having a logo licenced under Creative Commons Zero does have negative sides - we aren't able to use copyright law to stop people using it in ways we'd prefer they didn't but at the end of the day, this is not, in comparison, a difficult problem.

I know will disagree with my points of view - that's par for the course, though I would be interested if there are any points or licencing methods I hadn't thought of.

Tim

Chris Hilliard wrote:
I don't think that the creative commons zero licence is the correct
licence to use, it leaves the logo open to too much abuse while still
forwarding the responsibility back to us. I personally think that the
open source model is better, allowing for the owner to distance
himself from derivative works while still requiring a nod as it were.

But, that's just my thoughts as an artist...

thanks,

badspyro