[Fsuk-manchester] Data Privacy Day

From: Mark Reynolds
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Data Privacy Day
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 17:22:37 +0000

Anyone heard about it? The first I heard was when I was browsing /.
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/09/01/29/0038209.shtml and here's the
Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Privacy_Day

With employers Googling candidate's names and checking up on
employees' social networking pages I think it's definitely a good idea
to raise awareness of this sort of thing. Many non-technical people
happily post all kinds of things on MySpace, facebook, etc often
thinking that somehow only people that they want to see it will do.

Once upon a time the thought of a democratic Western government spying
on it's own populus illegally and indiscriminately was unthinkable-an
Orwellian fantasy-now it's happening.
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/01/nsa-whistlebl-2.html what's
worse is that it's already being combined with the huge amounts of
data that retailers and credit card companies hold about us.
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/01/nsa-whistlebl-1.html

This is no longer an issue solely for people with their tin-foil hats
on too tight. People who know that it's going on but who don't care
probably just don't understand the nature of the problem or if they do
are too apathetic to care. Spread the word, people!

Mark

--
"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the
highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest