Re: [Fsuk-manchester] DRM: Beginning of the end?

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] DRM: Beginning of the end?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 19:21:37 +0000

Lucy wrote:
Good news in the fight against DRM, as Apple announce that iTunes will
no longer sell tracks infected with DRM. Is this the beginning of the
end for DRM though?

I think Music + DRM is more or less dead. There will be a few dying twitches I expect where people give away DRM encumbered tracks etc. and the technology enablers will also keep the idea alive..
Obviously, we need to make sure DRM in music doesn't return somehow.

I think DRM in general however, is going to be with us for a little yet, DRM on video is currently a major issue, iPlayer and the (proposed) Project Kangaroo are very notable examples, with DVDs, Blueray, etc being other examples.

The gaming industry, still rocked by arguably one of the most innovative games of 2008 (Spore) getting extremely poor ratings due to it's obnoxious DRM system may also be making steps in the right direction, but until it removes it completely it will continue to affect millions of people.

defectivebydesign.org - see where DRM continues to be a menace

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net
----