Re: [Fsuk-manchester] DRM: Beginning of the end?

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] DRM: Beginning of the end?
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 16:18:33 +0000

2009/1/7 Fred Phillips <address@hidden>:
> On Wed Jan  7 11:35:08 2009, Steve Hamblett IMAP wrote:
>> Good step in the right direction, although I believe Apple is still
>> shipping the tunes in its own proprietry format, not MP3, so native MP3
>> players still won't work here. Is this still a form of DRM?
>
> If that is the case wouldn't encoding with Ogg Vorbis or FLAC be
> considered "DRM"? Only a handful of players support them.

But you have the freedom to write a new player or to encode it into
something else. It's not restriction over and above copyright (which
is what DRM is) and it's not vendor lock-in (because you're free to
change). The only problem Ogg Vorbis and FLAC have at the moment is
obscurity, which you can help solve (by using them and by buying
hardware which supports them).