Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [Fwd: UKUUG - LINUX 08 - discount for local groups

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [Fwd: UKUUG - LINUX 08 - discount for local groups]
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:12:25 +0000

On 29/10/2008, Matt Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tim Dobson wrote:
>  > Anyone interested in going?
>  > 40 pounds for locals
>  > 20 pounds for local students
>

> I think you should be very wary of supporting a "Linux" event, unless it
>  is about just the kernel. Which this isn't.

While I agree that they should use the name "GNU/Linux", I don't think
that boycotting any event which uses what is now such a commonly used
name is helpful. By your logic we would also have to avoid every LUG
meeting.

I think it's better to get out there, learn from other people using
free software and GNU/Linux, and use the opportunity to spread
awareness of Manchester Free Software.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it yet and probably won't know
until later next week. It's certainly a good opportunity, although we
have similar talks most months for free ;)