[Fsuk-manchester] Hardware Call-Out: LTSP Server Required!

From: Dave Page
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Hardware Call-Out: LTSP Server Required!
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 23:32:30 +0100

Manchester Free Software [1] recently set up a free software suite at the
Marbella Café [2] at 52 Newton Street in the Northern Quarter, using machines
previously used by Free Space Manchester and originally from the Basement
Social Centre.

This suite formed the nucleus of our Software Freedom Day event [3], provided
free internet access at the café and also was set to be used for free
software training and education.

Unfortunately, the server which powered this LTSP [4] setup died this evening
through a motherboard failure, so the suite is currently down. We have no
budget for a replacement, but only need a fairly modest hardware. I thought
it'd be worth asking around and seeing whether anybody could help us.

The current server is a Sempron 3000, with 2GB RAM. This is actually overkill
for 3 LTSP clients. I believe that the RAID-1 SATA drives will probably still
be OK. If you have a spare machine of a spec in this ballpark in the
Manchester area (or can get it to Manchester), please e-mail me on
address@hidden

Manchester Free Software and our friends and companions in the free software
world are keen to get this suite back up and running - it's the only place in
Manchester providing free and zero-cost Internet access, and will be used to
help educate people about and with free software.

Please propogate this e-mail to lists you think might be useful.

Dave

[1] http://manchester.fsuk.org/
[2] http://marbellacupcakes.com/
[3] http://manchester.fsuk.org/blog/2008/09/14/software-freedom-day-event/