Re: [Fsuk-manchester] OpenStreetMap - Manchester Mapping Weekend, 25/26

From: David Greaves
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] OpenStreetMap - Manchester Mapping Weekend, 25/26 October
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 21:24:17 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
> Simon Ward <address@hidden> wrote:
>> If you can’t make it to the event, you can help in the Virtual Mapping
>> Party by tracing any remaining Yahoo! aerial imagery.
>
> Most times I've looked into OSM, I seem to get stuck by either some
> piece of non-free software or by some accessibility problem.  Could
> someone point me at how to get started tracing for OSM with free
> software?  Then if I go well with that, I'll try to borrow a GPS.
>
> Thanks,

I've not yet done OSM mapping but I did a lot of research a couple of months ago
for a GPS that was:
* small
* cheap £40
* high quality gps
* logger
* Bluetooth (Nokia N800)

and most importantly has:
* Linux support

And I bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/i-Blue-747-Bluetooth-GPS-Data-Logger-51-Ch-Navigation_W0QQitemZ400002027057QQihZ027QQcategoryZ139825QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

i-Blue 747 Bluetooth GPS Data Logger 51 Ch Navigation

http://bt747.wiki.sourceforge.net/Manage+iBlue%2C+Qstarz+BT-Q1000+and+iTrek+Z1+GPS+data+loggers+on+Windows%2C+Palm%2C+WinCE%2C+Linux+and+Mac+(opensource)

(or http://tinyurl.com/3mn8uf)

David

--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."