Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Free Software Community Projects

From: Dave Page
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Free Software Community Projects
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 23:26:57 +0100

On Friday 15 August 2008 15:06:36 Paul Robinson wrote:
> On 14 Aug 2008, at 23:08, Dave Page wrote:

> > While this page is about people volunteering skills for a new
> > project, there
> > are already many free software / geek-oriented community projects in
> > Manchester, very few of which are working effectively due to lack of
> > awareness of each other and communication.

> This started out as a post to GeekUp and it looks like in the cross-
> post we've crossed wires and it's been interpreted that the project
> we're talking about is about furthering free software - it isn't.

I never suggested that it was. I just wanted to point out that there's quite a
lot of things already happening that people can get involved with which are
happening already.

> We'd like some people from there from the free software community if
> the orgs are interested in exploring that option, but it's not a free
> software clinic. If the free software community don't want to engage
> with that project, fine, but I feel it's a lost opportunity for all.

If the Geekup community don't want to get involved with existing free sofware
projects, fine, but I feel it's a lost opportunity for all ;)

> I'm a little incredulous that resource is there and not being used. If
> you'd like me to, I'd like to help you fix that. Quickly. But I need
> to know exactly what kind of resources we're talking about.

You're making it sound like it's incredibly easy to do this and that all the
answers are readily available. If this were true, I can assure you that it
would have been done already. It's not like there aren't keen, committed
people working on it. Providing clear lines of communication and information
is the first step :)

Dave
--
Dave Page <address@hidden>