Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Google's chrome browser

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Google's chrome browser
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:46:13 +0100

On 10/09/2008, aidy lewis <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  What is your opinion on Google's chrome browser? Even though it is
>  open-source, its original license gave Google the ownership of
>  everything posted by the browser.

I really think there are two issues here, the first is the software
license and the second is user-data protection (defined by the EULA in
this case).

It worries me that a company is able to have a EULA that is that
generic. In the case of the Google EULA they didn't own your data at
all, you still retained copyright, but they could do whatever they
wanted with it. I think this is something that the Open Rights Group
covers well (although I don't think they have a specific campaign with
regards to user-data online at the moment). It's worth checking them
out if you haven't already.

In the case of the software itself, I would argue that Crome is not
free software. It is based on Chromium which is under a BSD license
but I'm not sure about the license of Crome itself - is the code
actually available for example?

Lucy