Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Free Software Community Projects

From: Dave Page
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Free Software Community Projects
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:08:43 +0100

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 15:00:43 Paul Robinson wrote:

> For what it's worth, a large group of GeekUp types are trying to get
> involved in outreach work with kids (teaching them to code), unskilled
> workers (ditto), graduates (teaching industry best practice) and so
> on, with our first area in need of help - whilst I wait for the
> council regeneration team to get back to me - being the voluntary/
> community sector. If you want to help charities now, or increase
> diversity down the line, consider signing up here:
>
> http://geekup.org/wiki/index.php?title=Geekup_School
>
> The idea is we're going to initially run a surgery for charities and
> the voluntary sector to attend staffed with geeks who can answer
> questions on IT, strategy, online marketing, whatever. It would be
> good to see some FSUK peeps there.

While this page is about people volunteering skills for a new project, there
are already many free software / geek-oriented community projects in
Manchester, very few of which are working effectively due to lack of
awareness of each other and communication.

For example, there's a bunch of sysadmins working on a project at the Zion
Centre who are lacking computers and internet connectivity; a bunch of
refurbed old desktop computers sitting in a warehouse in Whalley Range, with
nobody to do anything with them, and an Internet connection and project room
in the city centre currently sat empty. I'm working on trying to combine the
three. A lot of these projects have the non-geek skills required, such as
funding, project management etc. but are lacking in equipment or help.

I've started work on a page at
http://groups.fsf.org/index.php/Manchester/Projects to keep track of
Manchester-based community projects; I'll pass it around to as many people as
possible to get a comprehensive overview of what's going on, and hopefully
where efforts can be concentrated and combined to do the best at bringing
free software to the world.

Dave
--
Dave Page <address@hidden>