Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Promotional Leaflet

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Promotional Leaflet
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 15:41:03 +0100

On 08/07/2008, Tim Dobson <address@hidden> wrote:
> gNewSense & Ubuntu. The non-free software really puts a hole in this
>  leaflet imho. I know this point is not new, and I know it hasn't been
>  resolved, but I would either err on putting gnewsense first or leaving
>  out the section. We don't need to reccommend gnu/linux distros do we?
>  In general people find lots of choice really confusing anyway.
>  i don't know.
>  I'd like this not to turn into a ubuntu vs gnewsense... AGAIN. :P

If we don't mention the most popular and well established distros
(Ubuntu & Fedora) then people will discover them anyway and not
realise they have non-free software in them.

Also, I think giving a short list avoids the problem of too much
choice and it gives a person somewhere to start.

gNewSense is listed last so that the idea of a totally free distro
stays in the person's head (I'm hoping that the last name they see
will be the one they are most likely to remember).

Hope that helps. It's entirely open to debate, but I think it would be
odd (and unhelpful) not to mention different GNU/Linux distros.