Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Manchester Anarchist Bookfair, 7th June 2008

From: mattl
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Manchester Anarchist Bookfair, 7th June 2008
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:43:11 -0400 (EDT)

> Exactly, the 'goals' of a free software OS - I think it's still very
> much a goal and I don't think we're realistically there for the
> majority of people yet. I think pretty much everyone in this group
> runs some kind of proprietary software and yes they understand why
> that is bad, but I don't see why we can't educate users in the same
> way. If we tell them they have to buy a new graphics card or stop
> watching youtube first then they will run away so fast they won't hear
> the message. It's what Ubuntu does when it pops up a warning to say
> that you've installed a proprietary driver, it allows the user to make
> that choice and educates them as to why it's a bad idea. I know that
> Ubuntu could do better in many respects and perhaps we should help
> them understand that rather than insulting and avoiding them.

Nobody is telling them to buy a new video card or stop watching YouTube.

You can watch Youtube with free software, and I've yet to see any evidence
that anyone *needs* to run a proprietary video driver in order to use
their computer.

http://diveintomark.org/archives/2006/11/06/gnewsense makes a good case
for it, and that was the previous version.

I would encourage everyone to download a gNewSense Live CD and try it.