Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Manchester Anarchist Bookfair, 7th June 2008

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Manchester Anarchist Bookfair, 7th June 2008
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:46:07 +0100

On 04/06/2008, Matt Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think I missed the earlier part of this conversation.
>
>  Who's going to the bookfair?
>
>  What is the goal of having MFS people there?
>
>         If it's simply to raise awareness of the group, then no CDs are
>         needed, but flyers explaining free software would be good.
>
>         http://www.fsf.org/resources/what-is-fs is good for that.
>
>  Is the role of MFS now one of converting people to using free software?

I think one of the goals of the group should be to raise awareness of
and educate people about free software, and in doing so we will raise
awareness of the group as well.

I think it was Dave Page's suggestion to distribute gNewSense CDs
along with leaflets to spread the idea of free software to a group of
(mostly) non-technical people likely to be interested.

[snip]
>  Rather, explaining the goals of a completely free software operating
>  system, citing the reasons for its creation and then being able to offer
>  a CD that can be tried is useful. Use the opportunity to explain WHY
>  certain graphics cards don't work fully, explain WHY a wired internet
>  connection may be required.

Exactly, the 'goals' of a free software OS - I think it's still very
much a goal and I don't think we're realistically there for the
majority of people yet. I think pretty much everyone in this group
runs some kind of proprietary software and yes they understand why
that is bad, but I don't see why we can't educate users in the same
way. If we tell them they have to buy a new graphics card or stop
watching youtube first then they will run away so fast they won't hear
the message. It's what Ubuntu does when it pops up a warning to say
that you've installed a proprietary driver, it allows the user to make
that choice and educates them as to why it's a bad idea. I know that
Ubuntu could do better in many respects and perhaps we should help
them understand that rather than insulting and avoiding them.

>  If you want to grow the group, make free software advocates out of
>  people by showing them what is possible and what is not possible,
>  instead of tricking them into using a free operating system that
>  requires a bundle of secrets to make everything work.

That's why I'm happy to demonstrate and distribute gNewSense. I think
the distro is a great way of reminding all of us how far away we are
from the ultimate goal, but I don't want users to have that or Windows
as their only options.

>  Pushing GNU on the basis of accelerated video and wireless internet is
>  the wrong argument to make for freedom.

I'm suggesting we push free software (not just GNU) in spite of those
issues while allowing users to work around those problems. It raises
awareness and makes free software accessible while working towards the
goal of complete software freedom.