Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Manchester Anarchist Bookfair, 7th June 2008

From: Benjamin Webb
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Manchester Anarchist Bookfair, 7th June 2008
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 22:48:20 +0100

I have left replying to this post for a while. But I thought I'd
better post something, or else risk having my views ignored.

I agree with Lucy on this one. Many windows users will have trouble
switching to ubuntu, let alone gnewsense. Yes, gnewsense may be just
about usable by them (if the relevant hardware works at all), but it
is still too great an inconvenience, and they will simply switch back
to Windows.

You really have to realise here, that in many cases it is a choice
between people using a 0% free OS and a >95% free OS. Having only
ubuntu CDs may be hypocritical of a free software group, but having no
ubuntu cds will mean that we will achieve very little. You have to
remember that ubuntu is mostly free software, and forget about the few
problems whilst we help other people make steady steps towards
freedom.

Does everyone who attends the group run gnewsense all the time... NO!
So how can you expect ordinary windows users to switch to it!?!?!

This kind of stuborness and in-fighting is slowing the development of
free software and makes people shy away from the community.

So, IMO, we should give out ubuntu cds, as they, if given out after an
explanation of the importance of Software Liberty (and why Ubuntu is
not perfect), will have a far greater effect in spreading the cause
than gnewsense cds that people will take home, find out they don't do
what they want and throw in the bin.

Ben