Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Manchester Anarchist Bookfair, 7th June 2008

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Manchester Anarchist Bookfair, 7th June 2008
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 12:03:47 +0100

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 07:18:16AM +0100, Lucy wrote:
> However, I think the main problem is a lack of materials - I don't
> think it's going to be possible to get enough leaflets and cds done in
> time.

Yes. ☹  I haven’t got any CDs done.  Similar materials can be used for
the Infopoint (which is not going to happen this weekend unless my
vaguely Jesus‐like appearance owes me a miracle or two).  The Anarchist
Bookfair is a less regular event, so if people can make it I’d go for
that and look at starting the Infopoints later on.

> Also, (prepares for flaming) I'd be unwilling to distribute just
> gNewSense CDs - for the target audience I think we'd need a pile of
> OpenCDs and a easy-to-use distro like Ubuntu too.

“easy-to-use” is a matter of opinion ☺

Anyway, I wouldn’t just go for gNewSense.  It’s a bit limiting and not
very open minded to think that this is the only distribution for us to
distribute.  In my opinion, even if Ubuntu promotes non‐free software,
it promotes free software too, and more so.  I plan to burn at least a
selection of Debian, gNewSense, Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSUSE.

simple system that works.—John Gall