Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Social Meet at the start of the month?

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Social Meet at the start of the month?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 00:14:17 +0100

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:36:08PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> The first week of the month has the #manlug [1] currybeer [2] so I
> suspect that the second week might be better. Meeting on a not-Tuesday
> might be preferable, since some people already can't make our Tuesday
> events.

First Tuesday of the month is Manchester BSD Users group and second
Tuesday of the Month is GeekUp.  We should avoid scheduling on these
days.

Saturday leaves most flexibility for me, although I’m not in Manchester
on the weekend of the 14th.  Week days are variable, but it’s best for
me to meet earlier in the evening.

Suggest you put the suggested times up somewhere and let people mark
when they are available.  We could use the groups.fsf.org wiki, or a
service like Doodle[1].

[1]: http://doodle.ch/

> As for venue - we seem to be happy with the FAB Cafe for social events.

Fine for the social bit, but it’s rubbish for the admin meeting.
Somewhere that has decent lighting, and we can grab a table, is useful.

> pick a time to start the organisational meeting (7pm), and a format it

18:00 is much better for me on a normal day (17:00 is even better,
that’s a compromise ☺), and allows a bit more time for your average
09:00-17:00 worker to get there than the 17:30 start.

If there’s not enough time for the meeting, given that we’ve stuck to
about one hour (and gone over slightly), a more easily paced meeting
covering the same items may last 1.5 to 2 hours.  Having meetings longer
than that means we start needing breaks or other interludes to help
prevent them from getting tiresome.  I grant the meetings have felt
rushed.  I’ll allow more time for agenda items and schedule fewer in one
meeting to ease this.

simple system that works.—John Gall