Re: [Fsuk-manchester] MS Windows on the OLPC

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] MS Windows on the OLPC
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 13:25:10 +0100

David Greaves wrote:
Just as a comment here - have you considered approaching Manchester Grammar
School (I'm an alumni FWIW) and other independent schools?

*If* they are open to the idea (and I would think that the financial and
intellectual arguments would hold weight) then they *may* be less likely to be
influenced politically (and MS would have to bribe them directly rather than via
a ministerial diktat).

They may also be useful role models...

Hi David,

I am also recent alumni of Manchester Grammar and still have strong links with them, and have suggested we talk to them on several occasions.

they would *only* be influenced politically, as far as I can grasp - they are using a Research Machines Community Connect 3 network, which is about as nasty an non-free as you can get. In addition they are using Broadcom wifi registering devices (glorified winCE pdas) for registers - it also all relativity recent which I suspect means they will be less likely to spend money on changing things.

At the moment, I suspect, RM is trying to use them as a case study for their systems, though I'm not convinced this is going to plan.

However, like with many people and organisations, I suspect that long term correspondance, might be effective - indeed there are free software supporters on the staff IIRC, the former head of ICT (now ICT liason) I believe is someone who may be on our side.

I'm interested to do something, but I'm not sure that any action will spring immediate results.

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net
----