Re: [Fsuk-manchester] MS Windows on the OLPC

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] MS Windows on the OLPC
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 14:55:57 +0100

Lucy wrote:
I know that yesterday I was having problems thinking that proprietary
software was immoral, although I knew it was 'bad'. Today, I think
that things are much simpler, forcing kids to use proprietary software
because 'everyone else is using it' or because 'it trains them for
business' is wrong, completely morally wrong. It scares me to see how
much influence one company has and it frustrates me that kids will be
missing out on valuable learning because of the interest of business.

It has really annoyed me too.

and he does raise a few good points.

Richard Smedley is somewhat right, though what most sticks out is what someone wrote to me in a offlist email, pointing out that 500,00 kids using gnu/linux might not be as good as several million using windows.
considering most of us learnt on non-free systems, it is only a little step.

however, this doesn't stop me being pissed off, angry and unhappy, even though we have seen this coming for quite a while.

Hopefully, we can persuade asus to move the eee from xandros to ubuntu.

Keep smiling, :)

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net