Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Discussion on list

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Discussion on list
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 01:21:18 +0100

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 12:07:06AM +0100, Tim Dobson wrote:
>> Would you rather exclude those who are interested in free software
>> related news, but not in the discussion?
>
> You are exaggerating my position.

I don’t see how:  I was asking a question, not making a statement.

Lest I get accused of making further outrageous assumptions by taking
your remark as meaning to answer “no” to my question, I’ll ask it again:

Would you rather exclude those who are interested in free software
related news, but not in the discussion?

> For low traffic information about Free Software there are sevral things
> to do:
>
> For FSF news join the fsf-announce etc list - the same with FSFE. better
> than getting it second hand from us.

Why not one for Manchester?

> In terms of Manchester Free Software group - the website -
> http://manchester.fsuk.org *should* display details of the next event,

Web isn’t a replacement for mail.  Consider someone who has a mobile
device that isn’t very good for web browsing, but excellent for reading
mail.  I’m in favour of more ways of getting the word out, not
restricting them.

> which in any case, will take place on the third Tuesday on the month,
> starting at 7pm and Manchester Digital Development Agency.

What about extra events?  Other things not necessarily organised by
Manchester Free Software?

You forward our announcements to loads of other lists, it seems only
courteous to allow them to reciprocate. :)

> Filtering announcements down is a very tricky business and isn't always
> successful. I would shy away from it in these circumstances.

I have few concerns about moderating an announcements list.  The only
one I have at present is that at least one other person moderate too in
case I’m not around to approve messages.

>> Do people have to participate in our community to hear about things?
>
> No. that's why I forward the meeting announcement mails to about 4000
> mailing lists which cross a diverse spectrum :)

Slightly different question then, especially in light of web ≠ email
above:  Do people have to subscribe to our discussion list or another
mailing list to receive our announcements by email?

If people would like to receive just announcements and news by email,
why not just let them have it?

simple system that works.—John Gall