Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Discussion on list

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Discussion on list
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 00:07:06 +0100

Simon Ward wrote:
On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:29:02PM +0100, Tim Dobson wrote:
How about moving to two lists?

  * fsuk-manchester-announce […]

  * fsuk-manchester-discuss […]
I actually disprove of this model. I have seen several communities where this is the case, and I don't think it really works how a community should.

Would you rather exclude those who are interested in free software
related news, but not in the discussion?

You are exaggerating my position. Manchester Free Software's Mailing list is primarily a discussion list.

For low traffic information about Free Software there are sevral things to do:

For FSF news join the fsf-announce etc list - the same with FSFE. better than getting it second hand from us.

In terms of Manchester Free Software group - the website - http://manchester.fsuk.org *should* display details of the next event, which in any case, will take place on the third Tuesday on the month, starting at 7pm and Manchester Digital Development Agency.

Filtering announcements down is a very tricky business and isn't always successful. I would shy away from it in these circumstances.

Do people have to participate in our community to hear about things?

No. that's why I forward the meeting announcement mails to about 4000 mailing lists which cross a diverse spectrum :)

I frequently invite people from outside our community to come along.
I go to their events too to hear what they have to say and then invite them to ours I have found if you respect them and their views and aren't outwardly rude to them - they will either:
a) be rude to you :P
b) listen to what you are saying and think about coming to one of the meetings or joining the mailing list.

--
www.tdobson.net
----