Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 11:18:39 +0100

On 06/05/2008, Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2008/5/6 Lucy <address@hidden>:
>  >

> > I would say how far you leave a person by themselves to re-install
>  > Windows depends on the individual. In this case I think that
>  > rebuilding trust is more important. Tim's brother has obviously had a
>  > bad experience with free software and is now blaming it for his
>  > current problems. So I think Tim should help him but explain that the
>  > help will have to be limited in future (after all Tim's expertise lies
>  > in free operating systems).
>

> Yes, I'm assuming that anyone can reinstall Windows as long as the
>  machine can boot CDs.

That isn't always the case.

>  Perhaps Tim could set up the machine to dualboot gNewSense and
>  Windows, put enough free software on Windows to help his bro migrate
>  his data to free formats.

But, if his brother doesn't understand what gNewSense is and doesn't
want to learn at the moment then it will never be used and will be
nothing more than an annoyance. I'm suggesting that Tim works to open
up a dialog and tries to install free software that his brother will
use and will find useful. Once he discovers the technical advantages
then he might be more open to learning about the moral advantages.