Re: [Fsuk-manchester] rms talk tomorrow

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] rms talk tomorrow
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:35:18 +0100

On 30/04/2008, Paul Waring <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 09:40:09PM +0100, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>  > Thanks Paul.  I didn't expect it to be a problem, but, having recorded
>  > some of our university seminars in the past, I've met a few academics
>  > who've disliked the idea of being recorded (and everyone ends up
>  > losing out for the few as a result).
>

> You will find that a lot of academics don't want their talks recorded
>  unless there's a good reason (e.g. I think they will be sympathetic to
>  someone who is dyslexic and needs to take notes off-line). I know it
>  sounds a bit harsh but I also know some of the academics who don't like
>  being recorded and they do have good reasons for this.
>

>  Paul
>
>  --
>  Paul Waring
>  http://www.pwaring.com

Yes, sorry I should have been more clear in making that comment.  I
know such academics have good reasons for this, having spoke to those
concerned and agreed with them.  However, it doesn't stop me feeling a
little annoyed that my offer to do so in the first place was not even
appreciated, if not accepted.  In this case, we are also not talking
about the academic(s) in question being filmed, but merely being
present at the talk.
--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8