Re: [Fsuk-manchester] rms talk tomorrow

From: Jeanne Rasata
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] rms talk tomorrow
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:44:01 -0400

Hello, Andrew,

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 16:40, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> On 30/04/2008, Paul Waring <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:38:02PM +0100, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> >  > I plan on attending tomorrow's talk by Richard Stallman in Manchester.
> >  >  Would it be okay for me to record the talk on video?  The recording
> >  > would then be posted on my website (http://fuseyism.com) in Ogg Theora
> >  > format, as I've done previously with talks at FOSDEM.  I know a number
> >  > of people who are interested in hearing the talk, but are unable to
> >  > make it over to Manchester tomorrow evening.
> >

> > As far as I'm aware, no one else is doing this, and Richard has said (in
> >  his infopack) that he encourages people to record his talks, provided
> >  that it is done so in a free format. Also, even if someone else is
> >  planning to record the talk, it would be good to have multiple sources
> >  just in case anything goes wrong with one of them.
> >
> >  Thanks for the kind offer, and I look forward to seeing you tomorrow!
> >
> >  Paul
> >

> >  --
> >  Paul Waring
> >  http://www.pwaring.com
> >

> Thanks Paul.  I didn't expect it to be a problem, but, having recorded
> some of our university seminars in the past, I've met a few academics
> who've disliked the idea of being recorded (and everyone ends up
> losing out for the few as a result).
>
> Is this infopack online? If so do you have a link to it?
>
> Looking forward to tomorrow,
> Thanks again,

Thanks again!
Here is the relevant part of RMS' info packet.

Recording my speech:

Please do record the speech if you can. We are always looking for good
recordings of my speeches, both audio and video, to put on line.

The GNU Project keeps an on-line audio and video collection of speech
recordings in audio-video.gnu.org. If you are making an audio or video
recording of my speech, please write to address@hidden in advance
for advice on how to make a recording that is good for further use, and
subsequently to arrange to install your recording on our site.

When you are making a recording, please make sure to tell me when the
tape needs to be changed. I will pause. Please help me help you make the
recording complete.

Recording formats:

Please make sure that your recording is not compressed with a
substantially lossy codec (unless it is an Ogg codec). If we have to
transcode the file, starting from a lower-quality base will reduce the
quality of the result.

It is best to provide audio recordings in the original recorded sample
rate, up to 44100Hz. Monophonic is generally adequate for speech
recordings and saves a lot of space over stereo.

For video recordings, please save the master recording, which will
probably be in miniDV format.

Please don't transcode recordings from one format to another before
sending to us, unless they have such a high bit rate that files are
impractically large. If you do need to encode or transcode, please
convert audio to 64Kbps mono Ogg Vorbis (or you could try Ogg Speex),
and convert video to Ogg Theora with video quality set to 5 or more. If
you need advice for how to do this, please ask address@hidden

Putting my speech on the net:

If you would like to put my speech on the Internet, or distribute it in
digital form, I insist on using the formats of the free software
community: Ogg Vorbis or Ogg Speex format for audio, and Ogg Theora for
video. Please do not distribute my speech in any other format.

Please do not ever broadcast or publish my speeches in formats that are
not good for free software. I will not speak to make a recording or
broadcast that requires non-free software to be heard or viewed. Don't
use RealPlayer format, or Quicktime, or Windows Media Player format, or
a patented format such as MPEG2, MPEG4, or MP3.

This requirement is very important, because if it is not followed,
viewing my speech will require people to do the exact opposite of what I
ask them to do. The medium's message would contradict my message.

Because this is so important, please make sure everyone who might be
involved in broadcasting the event, or who might be directly or
indirectly involved in planning such a broadcast, knows this requirement
in advance of the event.