Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Leaflet for Thursday

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Leaflet for Thursday
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:32:33 +0100

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 01:08:30AM -0400, Matt Lee wrote:
> One, there's a rogue M in the second para. It looks like its floating
> behind something.

Hunted down, teased, selected with the cursor and found itself at the
wrong end of a backspace key.

> Secondly, let's not use the term 'Digital Rights Management', but rather
> 'Digital Restrictions Management'

I’ve changed this to say “Digital Restrictions Management (DRM)”.
Without modifying any other wording, this makes the paragraph a line
taller, so I also adjusted the spacing between the paragraphs.

I have also changed “Free Software” to “free software”.  I’m aware that
opinions differ on this, but capitalising it makes it come across as a
marketing term.  The words should be considered to take their normal
meanings (in context) in the language, and not any special jargon.  This
goes even more so for other languages where you should avoid simply
copying the term “free software”[1]:

    Also, if you use other languages than English, please try to avoid
    borrowing English terms such as "free software" or "freeware." It is
    better to translate the term "free software" into your language.

Results in the same place as before[2].

[1]: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/words-to-avoid.html#Freeware
[2]: http://bleah.co.uk/~simon/manchester-free-software/

simple system that works.