Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Thursday's Talk

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Thursday's Talk
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:28:49 +0100

Lucy wrote:
On 28/04/2008, Tim Dobson <address@hidden> wrote:
 A *large* banner saying "Manchester Free Software Group", with the website
address underneath it.

While, it would be nice I think it's too late to organise
It's much easier to do than printing flyers!
 and if it were anywhere prominent it would require the permission of the
organisers, rms and possibly the University too.

BCS and the IET are unlikely to cause problems, RMS, I hope, supports free software groups, considering the BCS|IET has hired the room , I'm not sure it really matters what the University thinks but I don't think they are likely to take massive offence.

 I would suggest that all that is needed here is a large banner consisting
of a large number of a4 sheets blu-tacked/sello-taped together.

I think that would look too tacky (sorry about the pun).
you are forgiven ;) it made me smile.

Sorry, I really disagree. A banner of a4 sheets of paper *CAREFULLY* stuck together, probably without sellotape which would reflect light, would look show up the low budget.

By large, I don't mean massive (or tiny). I think that using about 12-18 pieces of a4 paper, something looking something like this: http://files.tdobson.net/mfsbanner.png (that is an extremely rushed uncared for image to show roughly what i was thinking about - the black border would beis printed on the paper.) If anyone wants to use real formats and a better choice of fonts, feel free to show. As I said, I feel really passionately about this, I think it is a chance for us to get our name "out there".

Though if we can get something professional looking for future events that
would be
great.

Sure. Perhaps this should go on the agenda for the next meeting.

 If anyone has any thoughts about flyers promoting Manchester Free Software,
let's hear your ideas!

Flyers are definitely worth doing though imo. I'll try to see if I can
come up with something

it would be good to add/change the bit at the bottom of the flyer matt linked about how you can help to a bit about Manchester free software.

I suspect that people are likely to be more likely to show their support to Free Software by turning

but I'm very busy this week.

likewise! I shouldn't be writing this email...

I have no printing facilities. Would someone be able to volunteer to
sort that out?

--
www.tdobson.net
----