Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Moving Things Forward: Name of the Group

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Moving Things Forward: Name of the Group
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:19:39 +0100

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:35:57PM +0100, Tim Dobson wrote:
>> We’re heading this way, it takes time and isn’t always at the top of
>> the priority list.  I think we should be concentrating on keeping
>> regular meetings, talks, and other events going.
>
> I think you are confusing the issues a bit. I'm not suggesting that it
> *is* top of the priority list, nevertheless I suggest healthy discussion
> helps us move slowly in the right direction. Whitewashing it and saying
> "later", doesn't help draw consensus.

I thought you were at the last meeting when we discussed it, but I could
be wrong…

I distinctly remember Andy telling me how he was glad he seemed to be
getting his point across now after beating it out several times already.

If we are already heading in that direction, and it’s not a top
priority, why attempt to elevate the importance of moving “slowly in the
right direction”?

>> You have access to the site, update it.  [No IRC channel is a good
>> reason for not having details on it.]
>
> Do I? Since when?

Yes, since Paul told you.  After I had requested you be given an
account, after the site was moved to Paul’s box, so you could carry out
your role of updating the web site and announcing things.

> My point was purely in relation to the "FSUK" in the website and mailing
> list causing confusion about the name of the group and totally unrelated
> to any possible issues surrounding hosting.

Just as you mention Ubuntu Loco groups having their own domains, the
same goes for lug.org.uk groups, some choose to use the domains provided
by these “local user group frameworks”.  More so, while some LUGs have
their own domain, they choose to have their mailing lists hosted by
lug.org.uk.

simple system that works.
    — John Gaule