[Fsuk-manchester] Re: [Fsfe-uk] Time to boycot OLPC?

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: [Fsfe-uk] Time to boycot OLPC?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:25:34 +0100

Nick Hill wrote:
OLPC might be rugged, but I imagine that in a very poor African village, schoolchildren will not be allowed to drop a laptop. A child would be petrified of dropping, loosing, or getting it wet for fear of consequences, and the elders, I am sure, will make those consequences very clear. That is even if parents dare allow their children to carry them.

I'm sorry to have to write this, but I think this is not only incorrect but rather unfairly prejudiced.

From the interview the BBC had with some child from a test project, in Peru, this certainly was not the case.

You have to remember that while people have who have not come in contact with computers know it's value, and treasure it, these are the same people who let their children do things that any parents in britain would be horrified to hear.

Lets keep it on topic and try not to stereotype. :)

--
www.tdobson.net
----