Re: [Fsuk-manchester] I'd encourage more people to stand as chairperson

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] I'd encourage more people to stand as chairperson
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 23:50:23 +0100

Matt Lee wrote:
I think Simon would be great for the job, and in my mind the only
candidate currently standing. In order for this to be more of an
interesting situation, I'd like to see more people stand.

I've already suggested Lucy stand. I'd also consider Andy Halsall as a
good candidate, though I am aware he lives in Sheffield which is a
problem.

The leader should be someone who is unafraid to take decisions that may
not always be the most popular.

Tim's come up with a list of things for discussion.
I don't see that the name of the group, associations or IRC are issues
for a debate in this process, because largely they don't matter. It
disappoints me to see someone running for chairperson that thinks they
do.

Questions I think we should be asking of chair people, and questions
I've asked myself.

Firstly, why does Manchester Free Software exist?

Then...

* Can $PERSON maintain the needs of the group?
* How can $PERSON help the group to communicate better?
* How can the group grow? How can $PERSON lead that process?
* How committed to free software is the person?

I see potential in a lot of people, but nobody apart from Simon is
standing.
Come on!

matt

Thank you Matt, I know Simon will appreciate your support.

I certainly would have been in favour of more candidates applying. indeed I went as far as sending a reminder. I suspect that many people have thought long and hard about the implications of applying and have unfortunately chosen not to. In some circumstances it may be lack of confidence holding them back, for other people it may be other commitments or geographical location deterring them from applying.

I am confident that Simon and I, both, do not suffer from these unfortunate issues.

I hope that your perception of the potential of the current candidates changes for better in the coming weeks.

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net
----