[Fsuk-manchester] IRC Channel

From: Matt Lee
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] IRC Channel
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:59:32 -0400

One useful task for the chairperson would be the appointing of IRC
operators, in whichever channel is chosen.

Currently, there are two active channels.

#manlug, on the OFTC network.

#fsuk, on the Freenode network.

I would suggest a channel for Manchester Free Software on the Freenode
network, perhaps #manchester or something. #fsuk is a channel I created,
and the name doesn't accurately reflect Manchester FS. It's also a bit
of a playground of mine, though less so of late.

I think it is also important to maintain order, and to use the channel
as a place to serve as both a central resource and as a noticeboard for
the community.

IRC Operators serve a useful purpose. They help maintain the channel,
with updates to topics and such, but they also help maintain the
conversation. Where the conversation goes off-topic, or people are
disruptive, they can be removed from the channel. If they are repeatedly
disruptive, they should be banned.

I don't like having to ban or kick people. Yesterday I kicked someone
from the channel because he persistently questioned me for having
operator status (which I was using to change the topic) - this was
lifted a few minutes later, but it can often be an effective way of
dealing with the problem at hand.

I encourage all candidates to consider how they will deal with these
issues in the following weeks. People will almost certainly have
different methods to me :)

Happy hacking!