Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Domain Names

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Domain Names
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:35:09 +0100

Lucy wrote:
Rather than creating yet another split in what is already a very small
niche, would it not be better to do what we can to keep our group
together with fsuk?

Well said! We are currently a relatively small group and obviously we should be careful to avoid further fragmentation. In terms of the fsuk.org domain, I would love for Manchester Free Software group to be come engaged with Libre Planet (was FSUK), however I feel that we would be well suited to having a loose and open association with Libre Planet(was FSUK), whilst hosting our own resources.

I would suggest that by having our own domain, fsug.org, we would strive to alleviate any issues

While we don't know what the aims of fsuk are,

I'm hoping Matt will make this clearer, though his recent mails have certainly improved this issue.

we also don't fully know what the aims of our group are yet either.

This is true. I hope once we have a permanent chairman that they will quickly and cohesively address this issue the best in the best possible way.

I think that it would be desirable if we could create a dialog between
us and Matt to establish exactly what his plans are.

I see this is already under way however I hope that matt keeps us updated about Libre Planet as things move fast in these decisive times.

I think we should only split away if it becomes obvious that our plans do not
match his and I don't think we are at that point yet.

I think you are exaggerating the opinions here. I for one have no desire to "split away" from Libre Planet and Matt. Indeed, Matt's input is often extremely useful and beneficial to the group and I am sure we will also reap the benefits of Libre Planet.

--
www.tdobson.net
----