Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Domain Names

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Domain Names
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:33:29 +0100

Simon Ward wrote:
Given that we now have manchester.fsuk.org pointed where requested,
there are no current issues with the setup.

this is not entirely true.

Do we still need another domain?

I believe so.

Some considerations:

We may want something else changed, and may hit the same issue of
getting it done in a reasonable amount of time.

I think this is always going to be an issue.

Additional control of the manchester.fsuk.org domain may suffice (NS
pointing to name servers we can maintain).

I think the issue is also related to the fsuk.org domain.

There are plans for fsuk.org that may be beneficial to Manchester Free
Software.

On the other hand, I don’t fully know what direction those plans will
take.  We may want to do something else instead of, or in addition to,
fsuk.org.  We need to make the aims clear.

At the moment we have no idea what direction these plans are in. We know they relate to grassroots free software in the UK, but you can get that much from the domain. While they may be beneficial to us, they equally may not be. At the moment, it has been evident that delays in doing things, have not been beneficial to us.

I would suggest that until we are clear about what fsuk.org *is* and what it means for us to be hosted there, that we move to hosting independent of it until we are clearer about what it is. When it is clear what fsuk.org means and represents then I would suggest that we have a discussion about whether it's goals align with ours, and whether being a subdomain of it if beneficial to us.

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net
----