Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Domain Names

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Domain Names
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:48:43 +0100

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:42:51PM +0100, Simon Ward wrote:
> As per the hosting issues brought up at the April meeting[1], we would like
> to move things so they are in the control of active members of the
> group.
>
> [1]:
> http://groups.fsf.org/index.php/Manchester/2008-04-15/Minutes#Any_other_business
>
> The domain used for the current site is registered by Matt Lee, and
> there have been significant delays before changes can be made.  To
> resolve this, we decided it would be better to just register another
> domain, and one that could be used for other free software groups too.

Given that we now have manchester.fsuk.org pointed where requested,
there are no current issues with the setup.

Do we still need another domain?

Some considerations:

We may want something else changed, and may hit the same issue of
getting it done in a reasonable amount of time.

Additional control of the manchester.fsuk.org domain may suffice (NS
pointing to name servers we can maintain).

There are plans for fsuk.org that may be beneficial to Manchester Free
Software.

On the other hand, I don’t fully know what direction those plans will
take.  We may want to do something else instead of, or in addition to,
fsuk.org.  We need to make the aims clear.

simple system that works.
    — John Gaule