Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Domain Names

From: Paul Waring
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Domain Names
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:58:32 +0100

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 02:51:53PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> What is the rationale for this?  It wasn't in the meeting notes, which
> said only "as this would allow us to offer support to new free
> software groups which might start up in the UK" which seems just as
> true of fsuk.org too.  Also, this group is going to need some control
> of manchester.fsuk.org in order to avoid having a zombie site out
> there misleading people.

The rationale *is* in the meeting notes - that we cannot change anything
to do with the domain as it is under Matt Lee's control:

"Our current domain name, manchester.fsuk.org, is registered by Matt
Lee and we cannot easily add new email addresses, change hosting etc."

> Matt Lee tells me he's said he'll point the domain anywhere.  When did
> someone tell him where to point it?

Simon and I have asked him to do this, I have also asked for the admin
password for the mailing list so that we can moderate posts (e.g. when
someone posts from an address which they're not subscribed with). This
has been done numerous times over several weeks and nothing has
happened.

> Worst case, has the group asked for fsuk.org to be transferred to an
> active member on behalf of the group?

As far as I am aware, FSUK is a project run by Matt Lee and he is not
willing to transfer over the domain to anyone else (which is fair enough
in some ways, as he's paid for it).

Paul

--
Paul Waring