[Fsuk-manchester] Re: [GeekUp] Manchester Free Software Meeting :: John

From: Jamie van Dyke
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: [GeekUp] Manchester Free Software Meeting :: John Leech :: 15th April :: MDDA :: 7PM
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:56:31 +0100

Crikey, with all this BrightBox pimping I'm going to have to step up to the plate with a talk, init!

-- Jamie
-- Engine Yard
-- Not BrightBox competition.  ;-)

On 8 Apr 2008, at 16:52, Tim Dobson wrote:
Who?
====

John Leech from Brightbox and Everyone Loves Eric Raymond

Where?
======

Manchester Digital Development Agency (MDDA)
Portland Street
Manchester

Directions?
===========

http://www.manchesterdda.com/directions/

When?
=====

7pm, Tuesday, 15th April.

More info: http://manchester.fsuk.org

If you're coming, please feel free to add yourself to the FSF Groups
wiki page:-

http://groups.fsf.org/index.php/Manchester/2008-04-15

Lightening Talks
================

We do have room for one, possibly two lightning talks, if you're
interested please go to:
http://groups.fsf.org/index.php/Manchester/2008-04-15 and sign up.

This Month's Meeting
====================

This month we have John Leach coming to tell us all about the history,
life and times of Everybody Loves Eric Raymond, and talking
about his new free software hosting outfit, Brightbox, which
hosts Ruby on Rails web apps.

John Leach is a free software hacker from Leeds. He is the
creator of the web comic, Everybody Loves Eric Raymond,
which stars Richard Stallman, Linus Torvalds and Eric
Raymond living in a house somewhere for some reason. As
Richard Stallman said "It is funny, but I'm disappointed
that it accentuates the shallow."

Random free software fact: John Leach is able to draw by
harnessing the power of economic coercion and forcing it
into his USB port.

About Manchester Free Software Group
====================================

Manchester Free Software was formed in response to a growing
apparent need for a group based in the Manchester area that
focuses on Free Software and GNU/Linux primarily, but also
on issues such as Digital Restrictions Management and other
issues which infringe on the freedoms of computer users.

All our meetings take place at Manchester Digital
Development Agency (MDDA), on Portland Street.

http://www.manchesterdda.com/directions/

Come and speak for us!

If you've got a project and you'd like to talk for 15 mins,
30 mins or even up to an hour about it, let us know.

--

Hope to see you soon,

Tim Dobson

--