[Fsuk-manchester] My point of view on all this...

From: Matt Lee
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] My point of view on all this...
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:13:43 -0400

* FSUK is an organisation I formed to do free software stuff in the UK,
specifically user groups.

* Manchester Free Software is the first group.

* I created a website, manchester.fsuk.org and later an irc channel,
#fsuk on freenode.

* I also created a GNU Savannah project, 'fsuk', and a mailing list
(fsuk-manchester)

This list exists to discuss Manchester Free Software.

As you may or may not have heard, I have left Manchester. I leave the
running of the group in the capable hands of Paul Waring and Simon Ward.

Paul and Simon now have the following:-

* Access to update the website
* Access to moderate/admin the list
* Access to moderate/admin the IRC channel

I would suggest that all discussion is around the Manchester Free
Software group, and not 'FSUK', whatever that eventually winds up being.

I don't think it's practical for anyone else at this stage to decide
what FSUK is or does, but rather, you all have the power to decide what
Manchester Free Software is.

If Paul and Simon decide they want a new website, then I will put a
redirect in place, or give them the A record for manchester.fsuk.org.

If they feel that a new list, away from nongnu.org is more appropriate,
then I will not stand in their way.

If they feel that a new IRC channel, or an existing IRC channel can be
accomodated to work as the official channel for Manchester Free
Software, then again, I will not stand in their way.

There's been some feeling expressed by a few members that they were
unhappy with the way I ran certain things, especially the IRC Channel.
I'm not aware of any mention of the IRC channel on the website, or at
any meetings as any kind of 'official' thing, but rather I created it as
a way to spend less time in #manlug, which rightly or wrongly, is
largely full of Transitive employees.

The future of the group is no longer down to me, but rather, down to
every one of you to decide how to shape it, how to tweak it and how to
continue its success. I will check in from time to time, and maybe
someday I'll be back in Manchester for a few days and I'll catch a
meeting, until then, I will leave you all in the very capable hands of
Paul and Simon, and I am confident that the decisions they make, in
discussion with the rest of you, will be good ones.

matt