Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Future Meetings

From: Iain Roberts
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Future Meetings
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 06:37:05 +0000 (GMT)

----- "Simon Ward" <address@hidden> wrote:

> You’re doing it all wrong.  Stop mentioning the two different
> organisations as if they’re competing.  To avoid problems like this,
> don’t do that.
>
> They may be competing, but it doesn’t matter.  We’re going ahead
> whatever the FSF*, FSFE**, or FFSSTFU*** think.
>
> *We are already somewhat affiliated, by association, with the FSF.
> **If they want to help, fine, as long as they don’t whine about it.
> ***Yeah, sorry, I made that up.
>
> Simon

Simon's right: don't debate which organisations to cozy up to; debate what we
want to achieve and then work with orgs to help us achieve it.

For info, here's my list of FOSS and Open Standards and Open Rights groups in
the UK (some of these may be dormant and not all may be good people to work
with).

# 1 FOSS

    * 1.1 AFFS
    * 1.2 FSF Europe
    * 1.3 FSF
    * 1.4 OSC (Open Source Consortium)
    * 1.5 UKUUG
    * 1.6 BCS OSSG (British Computer Society Open Source Software Group)
    * 1.7 OFE (Open Forum Europe)
    * 1.8 SchoolForge UK
    * 1.9 OSS Watch
    * 1.10 LUG Radio
    * 1.11 Open Advantage
    * 1.12 Open Schools Alliance

# 2 Open Knowledge

    * 2.1 FFII
    * 2.2 ORG
    * 2.3 Open Knowledge Foundation

Iain

--
Iain Roberts
Axiom Tech

Axiom Tech Ltd is registered in England and Wales at 92 Didsbury Road,
Stockport, SK4 2JL, company no 5684132, VAT no 878 6568 46.  Unless agreed
otherwise, all services and products supplied by Axiom Tech are subject to our
standard terms and conditions, available on request.