Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Future Meetings

From: Andy Halsall
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Future Meetings
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:51:57 +0000

Very briefly;

I am busy as sin at the moment so excuse my silence - a brief response to the
general tone of the last few mails as its getting interesting:

As to our group:

I see the FSUK as UK focused, sub-divided into regional groups like
FSUK-Manchester.  At present FSUK-Manchester is pretty much all there is,
however the aim as I see it is to use FSUK-Manchester as a base and use it to
try and grow throughout the UK (eventually).

We need to get it right in Manchester, if it works here, then this group will
be usable as a model for others and as and when the time comes we can look at
how to deal with a larger organisation, essentially made up of (hopefully)
many independent cells each working toward the same goals, and how to use
that organisation most effectively within the UK (and over the long term, in
a EU and global context)

As to other groups:

The FSF is not UK focused (although its remit does cover the UK), therefore it
would be useful to have contact with the FSF, to adopt what we see is
beneficial from the FSF and feed back into the FSF as much as possible where
appropriate whilst maintaining independence.

The FSFE is also not UK focused (again its remit does cover the UK) so again
it is a useful organisation to have a relationship with and make use of what
support or other benefits that it can provide whilst maintaining
independence.

There are other groups that we should also have contact and relationships with
groups like the EFF, FFII, BCS, CWU, TUC, NUT, NAHT, MCUG, the list goes on.
What we should not do is become a sub group of any of these, our focus should
be Free Software / Software Freedom in the UK, not an alliance with any
particular other group.  Many of us are already members of some of the
aforementioned groups - why duplicate the effort?

Lastly, as a group, our direction, specific aims and actions should not come
from other groups, regardless of how good or right they are.  Our direction
should come from our members.

--------

Now, I am trying to clear my desk so that I can focus on a few things over the
easter period so please excuse the fact that I am largely and intentionally
out of contact.

Cheers