Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Future Meetings

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Future Meetings
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:52:50 +0000

Simon Ward <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 03:03:30PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Well, the UK is in Europe, not America […]
>
> > That was part of the reason that AFFS was closer to FSFE, but I felt
> > there was also a sticking point in AFFS-FSF relations: there seemed to
> > be some fear of democratic popular associations in the FSF (which is
> > self-perpetuating IIRC).
>
> That’s one good reason for raising the profile of the FSF in the UK and
> putting these myths to bed.

OK, I'm confused.  What are the myths in the above and what helps show
they aren't myths?

Tim Dobson <address@hidden> wrote: [...]
> The reason I haven't commented though out the rest of my email about
> AFFS is simple, I don't feel I know enough about what it is/was to be
> able to come to a satisfactory conclusion on it.

I think that's always been part of the problem.  Right from day one,
few have stepped up, explained "this is what I think it should be",
built a consensus based on that and made it happen.  For a while, AFFS
made some stuff happen, but not enough and three exec resignations in
a year seem to have knocked it out.

Matt Lee <address@hidden> wrote: [...]
> The FSF is not a USA only, or even North America only organisation.
>
> We're worldwide, and while FSFE is European, the FSF's remit extends to
> include Europe and the UK.

FSF has styled itself FSF USA in the past.  One quick example
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2001-09/msg00002.html
I have also seen talks where it's been called "FSF North America"
and things like that, without complaint from FSF to the best of my
knowledge.

But anyway, even if its remit is worldwide and it no longer
acknowledges the regional sisters on its front page, FSF is a
corporation registered in one of the United States, which does pose
some complications.  The FSFE is an EU person, so somewhat easier for
us Europeans to interact with on practical matters, as we share more
laws and culture.

[...]
> > to elect a new Executive or invoke the dissolution clause and transfer
> > remaining assets to FSFE.  Would any fsuk-manchester members be
> > interested in reinvigorating AFFS?  Are any still paying subscriptions?
>
> IIRC, it's basically non-existent now.

Idle, dormant, withered, but non-existent seems a bit unlikely.  There
are probably still assets, an executive and possibly even some members
remaining.  It seems a shame to junk them.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)