Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Future Meetings

From: Paul Waring
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Future Meetings
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:25:59 +0000

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 03:03:30PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> I'm not aware of AFFS events since I resigned in about May 2005.
> www.affs.org.uk seems unmodified since 29-Dec-2005.  I feel it may be
> a good time to check whether anyone is up-to-date with the annual
> subscription (I'm not because I've had no payment request, unless
> there's no subscription fee at present) and ask them whether they want
> to elect a new Executive or invoke the dissolution clause and transfer
> remaining assets to FSFE.  Would any fsuk-manchester members be
> interested in reinvigorating AFFS?  Are any still paying subscriptions?

Given that there have been no updates to the site since 2005, I think we
can consider the AFFS 'dead'. I seem to remember signing up a couple of
years ago and never hearing anything from them.

In terms of starting up something similar, I think it would be less
hassle to start a new group rather than restart AFFS, because then
there's no need to worry about people suddenly coming out of the
woodwork with regards to membership fees, donations etc.

>From a personal point of view, I would like to see some sort of FSF UK
branch, as I think the FSF is currently far too US-biased (even though
it claims to be international) at the moment.</broken record>

Paul

--
Paul Waring
http://www.pwaring.com