Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Future Meetings

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Future Meetings
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 01:04:00 +0000

I’ve editted your mail to make quoting (hopefully) more apparent.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:49:29PM +0000, Matthew Edmondson wrote:

>> ### Free Software Groups vs other groups
>>
>>   * Less technical, more about using and working with free software.
> ME: Does this mean that you want to be less technical?

Yes, the consensus was that the other groups around, such as ManLUG, do
a pretty good job of covering technical aspects of free software, even
if they are not primarily free software groups.

>>   * Core Aim: Promote free software.
> ME: promote to who?

This was discussed, but I neglected to take down in my minutes.

The main target was seen as the general public, the average computer
user.  That seems a bit hazy to me, and I think we should be identifying
the specific people, if only so I know who too :)

Further on, we also talk about businesses and free software.  We would
like to see more businesses involved with free software.  Again, this is
not very well defined.

>> ### Venues
>>
>>   * MDDA — hears in June about getting more funding.  Otherwise we may
>>     need an alternate venue.
>>   * RobK said he would ask about a lecture room/theatre at MMU.
>>   * DaveP suggested town hall + Town Hall Tavern.
>>
> ME: A "cool" "new media" type place with a small group of delegates and
> a very loose agenda and lots of beer worked really well for me in
> London:-
>
> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/how_to_host_a_free_software_advocacy_event

I’m a bit of a fan of the “lots of beer” bit. :)

We currently host meetings in the Manchester Digital Development Agency
(MDDA).  They provide rooms and equipment that we can use.  I’d very
much like them to get the funding they so deserve.  I think we need to
clarify the funding situation, and if it looks grim, find a way to help.

Afterwards (and before, for that matter), we normally go for a few
drinks in FAB Cafe just a couple of doors down the road.  That normally
involves plenty of ad‐hoc discussion, although this time we decided to
have this semi‐formal meeting instead.  This isn’t what we want to do
all of the time, I think.  The “cabal” was going to go off to another
table for this meeting, but ended up not doing so.  In a way, I’m glad
it didn’t because we got some excellent input from people who otherwise
wouldn’t have been involved.

>> __ACTION:__ RobK to ask about lecture room availability at MMU.
>>
> ME: Who do you want to talk with?  Are tehy the sort of folk who want to
> meet in a the tradional lecture theatre?

I like having the rooms we’ve been using at the MDDA, rather than a
lecture theatre.  Furniture isn’t fixed, and doesn’t have to be rows of
seats facing a speaker.  This allows some flexibility with the format of
the meetings.

>> ### Speakers
>>
>>   * Need to research.  None felt “in” to the free software world enough
>>     to suggest who to ask.
> ME: My first ask was Jono.  He came. quite a few FS advocates came along
>> from A-Press, which is pretty nearby. IIRC
>>
>>   * AndyH suggested keeping a list of possible speakers.
>>     - DaveP later suggested a public wiki.
> ME: Yay - I like them. Nice one DaveP

[…]
>> ### Advocacy
>>
>>   * Examples: Software Freedom Day events, handing out leflets
>>   * DaveP suggested getting together some bootable CDs or similar into
>>
> ME: Your own?

Either.  I would like to use existing media if possible, but in
preparation we would want to make sure everything works well, and if
this means modifying one or creating our own, then so be it.  If
something doesn’t work, then the user is going to get a bad impression.
Someone will always find something that we have missed, but at least in
the case of a library, or community cluster, we have a better defined
target system to work to than just “general purpose computer”.

> ME: Bristol Wireless made quite a nice one.  they only use Debian and
> have got their own repo's : >
>
> ME: They love to be asked to speak at events about
> voip/wireless/community/free software/ltsp in a field/their
> distro/cider.  : >

Noted, thanks!

>>   * the Central Library for Software Freedom Day.  \[This has already
>>     been [suggested on list][1]\].
>>
>>     - The aim is to get the public using free software.
>>     - Not necessarily setting up an organisation to support, but more a
>>       publicity stunt to keep visible.
>>
>>   * AlexH: Get the low hanging, high impact fruit
>>   * AndyH: [things like leafletting, publicity stunts] not a good
>>     approach
> ME: agree
>>
>>   * AlexH: They are not the only things you do.
>>
>>   * DaveP: Need to get people involved and keep them.
> ME: Docuemnt the group, set the mission.
>>   * AndyH: How many people are interested in the first place?
>>   * AlexH: Two things needed:
>>     1. Enough mass.
>>     2. How many … ? \[Illegible\]
>>
>> [1]:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fsuk-manchester/2008-02/msg00005.html

[…]
>> ### Business
>>
>>   * Get interest through Manchester Small Business
>>   * Where can I find a directory of businesses supporting or providing
>>     free software?
>>     - \[name of a directory\] — AndyH thought it was mostly London based
>>     - RobK suggests Manchester seems to prefer local business
> ME: In Manchester the ones that I can think of are:-
>>
>>   -\[short list of local FS practioners\]
>>

>> ### Actions / Responsibilities
>>
>>   * _ACTION:_ RobK to ask about lecture room availability at MMU.
>>   * _ACTION:_ SimonW to ask Matt about things currently organised.
>>
>>   * AndyH — Speakers
>>   * TimD — Web site, announcements
>>   * DaveP — Venues, media relations
> ME: points at the media tart: >