Re: [Fsuk-manchester] iPlayer, DRM, Free Software and the iPhone

From: Mac
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] iPlayer, DRM, Free Software and the iPhone
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 19:28:48 +0000

Andy Halsall wrote:
<big snip>
Anyway, to sum up, I am pleased that the BBC is offering DRM free material, it is the right thing for the BBC to do, (if that is what they intended). I am rather less pleased that it is not easily usable for those of us without an iPhone. I have some questions about how this new source can be used legally, and I wonder how long it will survive as a BBC service.
<snip>

The Beeb has been reviewing its plans for iPlayer streaming for some time, including dropping DRM, and using other codecs (MP4; Dirac). For example:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/20/iplayer_flash_iphone/

Mac