[Fsuk-manchester] [Fwd: [backstage] iPlayer DRM is over?]

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] [Fwd: [backstage] iPlayer DRM is over?]
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 18:39:03 +0000

Can anyone verify this works?
this seems an amazing stroke of luck(??) - press release, anyone?
what would need to be done to bring a free software gui iplayer client which is functional and easy to use?

Tim

---
blog.tdobson.net
--- Begin Message --- Subject: [backstage] iPlayer DRM is over? Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 00:10:24 +0000
> Quoting Dave Crossland <address@hidden>:
>
>  > It is bizarre that the BBC won't negotiate with 3rd party rights
>  > holders to secure non-DRM internet distribution.
>
> I doubt that the BBC "won't". It is possible to negotiate such a deal
>  (see "Where Are The Joneses"). But 3rd party rightsholders usually
>  think that it is not in their interests to do so, and so they don't.

Well, it turns out that in fact they just have :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twindx/2316284105/ says:

"The BBC have just launched a version of their iPlayer that works with
the iPhone (and iPod Touch). Instead of streaming Flash, it streams an
MP4... but they don't let non-iPhone users know it's an option. So, I
used the User Agent Switcher to set Firefox to claim to be an iPhone,
and in place of the normal Flash playback doofer, I got a Quicktime
one instead... and nothing much happened. It turns out it's because it
won't actually stream, it wants to download the whole thing. That's no
problem though, I get 600kb/sec downloads at work =)

So, I got out Firebug and found the stream; then copied and pasted it
into the address bar, and it started downloading to play in Firefox
again. Not what I wanted - so I went to Save Page As... and saved the
MP4 file. And then realised that I was actually, at this point, trying
to download it three times (the original iPlayer window, the new
QuickTime-only tab and the download) so I closed everything else, and
watched it download the mp4 at the aforementioned 600kb/sec.

Once finished, I knew it had worked - hovering the pointer over the
file in Windows Explorer showed its dimensions (480x272), and moments
later an entirely randomly chosen programme was playing in VLC.

So, who fancies cobbling together some code to automate this, to do
what the BBC has failed to do all along - make a reasonable quality
iPlayer download service for platforms other than Windows, which lacks
DRM?"

--
Regards,
Dave

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [backstage] iPlayer DRM is over? Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 11:12:37 +0000
On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 07/03/2008, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
>  > Quoting Dave Crossland <address@hidden>:
>  >
>  >  > It is bizarre that the BBC won't negotiate with 3rd party rights
>  >  > holders to secure non-DRM internet distribution.
>  >
>  > I doubt that the BBC "won't". It is possible to negotiate such a deal
>  >  (see "Where Are The Joneses"). But 3rd party rightsholders usually
>  >  think that it is not in their interests to do so, and so they don't.
>
>  Well, it turns out that in fact they just have :-)
>
>  http://www.flickr.com/photos/twindx/2316284105/

Oh my goodness! That's made my day, that has :)

If I wasn't at Centerparcs right now you'd be looking at some kind of
download script to pull down video automatically. I reckon that pretty
much fills the protocol problem we were having with XBMC...

Iain
-

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [backstage] iPlayer DRM is over? Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 16:04:09 +0000
On 08/03/2008, Iain Wallace <address@hidden> wrote:
>  >
>  >  http://www.flickr.com/photos/twindx/2316284105/
>
> Oh my goodness! That's made my day, that has :)

The official BBC view of the iPlayer roadmap seems to have been about
bringing it to the most popular platforms first, and that negotiating
without-DRM downloads from the 3rd party rights holders was
impossible.

Is the iPod Touch really a very popular platform?

Will the "user agent" DRM will be made stronger?

>  If I wasn't at Centerparcs right now you'd be looking at some kind of
>  download script to pull down video automatically. I reckon that pretty
>  much fills the protocol problem we were having with XBMC...

:-)

--
Regards,
Dave

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [backstage] iPlayer DRM is over? Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 18:05:05 +0000
> If I wasn't at Centerparcs right now you'd be looking at some kind of
> download script to pull down video automatically. I reckon that pretty
> much fills the protocol problem we were having with XBMC...

Very quick mod of my other script which worked out the RTMP URL. I've
stripped out a lot of that and changed it so that it calls wget on the
MP4 location instead, outputting to a sensible save file name:

  http://strawp.net/files/download/iplayer_dl.zip

Bit busy this weekend, but that's my 30 minute hack. I've only tested
it on one feed (Mad Men, ep1) and only under linux, but it seems quite
happy. Requires PHP5 and wget. Should work under Windows with tweaks
to a couple of lines.

Cheers,
Iain
-