Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Video of the FSUK talk from the 19th February

From: Andy Halsall
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Video of the FSUK talk from the 19th February
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:05:56 +0000

Hello again,

Wrt the two licenses you mentioned, I was more going on the basis that they
seem no closer than the CC licenses to what I would consider free software
licenses (i.e. with freedoms 0-3), as opposed to being inherently better.
Frankly I'd be happy to have this stuff released under almost anything, the
particular license chosen seemed the most appropriate, although happily it
has led to some debate and discussion and forced me to take a closer look at
the licensing landscape.

On to the CC logo, Creative commons exists to provide a license that is
permissive.  Attempting to force restrictive clauses on its users by way of
trademark enforcement would be counter to that aim.

the terms surrounding the use of the logo are fairly clear:

"Creative Commons licenses the use of its trademarked corporate logo ... on
the condition that the trademark licensee use the mark to point to the
Creative Commons homepage, http://creativecommons.org, and only to the
Creative Commons homepage. Creative Commons retains full, unfettered, and
sole discretion to revoke this trademark license for any reason whatsoever or
for no specified reason."

As far as I am aware, you may use a trade mark to refer to someone else's
product's or organisation or services as long as you don't use it in relation
to goods or services which are identical to those for which the mark is
registered
 or
use a trademark or similar mark if there exists a likelihood of confusion
(including association or an indication that the holder of the mark endorses
something).
or
where the use of the mark, being without due cause, takes unfair advantage of,
or is detrimental to, the distinctive character or the repute of the trade
mark.

In short, afaik trademarks are not like copyright, you can use them as long as
you are not using them in a way that is prohibited.  Using a mark when
referring to a product or service that is provided by an organisation is
generally seen as OK.

As for estoppal, I would say it is reasonable given the CC's role and services
and the license under which the mark is licensed, that I as a plaintiff in
any trademark dispute, relied on the expectation that I had a license to use
the mark in a reasonable manner (which I have) and done so within existing
law and would suffer detriment if that expectation were found to be false.

Again, I'm not legally trained or qualified in any way, but I do have the
probably false belief that in the UK at least, the law and how it is enforced
does rely in someway on common sense.