Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Video of the FSUK talk from the 19th February

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Video of the FSUK talk from the 19th February
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:33:14 +0000

Peter Colton <address@hidden> wrote: [...]
> Aside the teething problems of torrent packaging style. Video
> distribution by bittorrent is the way forward for campaign groups.

It probably is (it's a fine cooperative technology), but it needs to
be made easier to use.  I got confused about how to download the video
flavour I wanted (Ogg low), so I gave up and used http.  Sorry.

Then I found the Ogg low was totally unreadable, so I went and
downloaded the Ogg medium one over http.  Very sorry.

Finally, it's a shame that none of the videos are under free software
licences.  Very very sorry for mentioning that ;-)

Any road up, it's great to see that there are videos and I thank those
involved muchly for those.  I'll go watch it in a minute and maybe
comment about the content later.  But first:-

I like free software, I want to watch free software films, I'm happy
to take them to other user groups and I'm no newbie, but I'm not
brilliant with online video, to put it mildly.  With my eyes, I'm
probably never going to be great at it, so I usually pass that part of
any web site I produce over to someone who could be great at it.  Far
too often, new collaborators first try to stick the video on youtube.
I don't let it finish up like that, but I can at least play stuff off
youtube. ytplay.bash seems to work, althought probably someone will
now highlight some acidentally-installed codecs of dubious legality
somewhere in ffmpeg that I must have...

Now, I think that's how easy it needs to be to get a video off a
torrent: "feed this to your torrent tool; and here are some links to
torrent tools" (I'm using something called btdownload_curses.py). If
you give me a file listing with the torrent, please tell me what to do
with it, else I just get confused and fall back.

In thickness and health,