Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Video of the FSUK talk from the 19th February

From: Andy Halsall
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Video of the FSUK talk from the 19th February
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:17:44 +0000

Thanks, for that, very useful comments.

> When i encode ogg video I have found the video size of 576x352 which is
> the size for PAL vcd video to be exellent.
>
> The high quality size of 768x576 will not run on my machine that as 250 meg.
>
> So instead of three videos at different size just one at the mid range
> size 576x352 for PAL

I haven't used ogg/theora at all before and I am fairly new to media production on Debian in any case, so your comments are very useful.

In this instance I used Kino's defaults for best, mid and low quality ogg/theora output. And mid quality MP4 (so that there was a decent quality, low file size version). The original set was a large number of Raw DV files at 720x576 @25fps (PAL) with 16 bit audio.

> The start of the video as the credit info and licence info. This info
> can all so be added to the video meta data with ffmpeg2theora arguments.
>
> ffmpeg2theora
>
> --title ""
> --artist ""
> --organization ""
> --copyright ""
> --license ""
> --location ""
>
> The torrent name could have been more informative.
>
> "fsuk_torrent"
>
> could of been some thing like.
>
> "manchester.fsuk.org-Talk-by-Stuart_Langridge-from-LUGRadio"
>
> The ogg file name could have been some thing like.
>
> Talk-By-Stuart_Langridge-from-LUGRadio-27.02.08.ogv
>
> instead of:
>
> FSUK_20080219_Mid_Quality.ogg

As for naming, you are right, the archive.org set (http://www.archive.org/details/20081902_FSUK_Manchester_Talk) is probably better than the torrent, (this probably) comes form my general lack of torrent experience with torrents, although I would say the file name is probably OK if it remains consistent over future versions, and assuming I add informative meta-data in future.

Torrents are definitely the way to go for this kind of thing, although some streaming or otherwise browser accessible versions (of a lower quality) are probably a good idea too.

Thanks again.

Andy.