Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Andy Halsall
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:14:25 +0000

Dave Crossland wrote:
Apple's hardware is increasingly less upgradable, and the Air laptop -
no battery replacement, hermetically sealed - is the latest and most
extreme example of this.

The Air laptop is probably the one place where I would let Apple get away with being upgrade and self service unfriendly, primarily because given the form factor it is going to be non standard and probably engineered to fairly tight tolerances (adding removable parts would likely increase size the device would need to be - it may not be true but its believable).

What does annoy me is that laptop manufacturers in general seem unwilling to standardise whatsoever, even within their own product ranges to a large degree, I have a drawer full of Toshiba laptop batteries, all of them Li-ions all of them 14.8V, all of them different shapes, same with modular CD drives (although HP seem happy for these to be interchangeable). About the only user serviceable parts are the HDD and RAM (Although I do have an old (I think) Dell where you can add a second stick of PC100 RAM, but only after removing the keyboard..)

Its been a while since I last bought a laptop (about 2005 I think) so things may have changed since, but I have always hated the fact that if anything broke, you couldn't just strip the laptop down and replace the defunct part, the solution was either to find a whole other laptop of the same model with some other defect and use it as a donor, or pay exorbitant fees to the manufacturer to have the thing fixed.

To be fair though, this does come down to customer expectation to a large degree, most people see PC's as upgradable and laptops as some sort of magical *tiny* boxes, there is a disconnect that the contents of both are pretty much the same.